Tuesday, January 2, 2018

I Resolve...


Except, I'm not perfect. Really nobody is. I see life as a never-ending quest to better myself, so some of these things listed below have been goals of mine for a while. However, since I'm not completely immune to the culture of the country in which I live (we Americans do love to make resolutions), I thought I'd add a few things to my list. Sharing them with you is a way to hold myself accountable.

So, here we go...

  1. This is a constant goal of mine as a Buddhist, but I resolve a deeper commitment to practicing kindness and compassion. This doesn't mean I'm going to let people walk all over me, because part of this resolution is to be kind and compassionate with myself as well. Also, sometimes the kindest thing is to hold people responsible for their actions. If that means punching a Nazi, so be it. More likely it will voting for people who I believe will help heal this country. Kindness and compassion are, in a way, the wellspring for all my other resolutions.
  2. I'm going to spend more time reading professional literature. This will be difficult, as it means giving myself permission to close my office door so I can concentrate. I want to be available to the library faculty and staff, but we'll all benefit if I gain more knowledge and keep more abreast of what's happening in our field.
  3. Another thing I'm going to spend more time doing is playing with my cats. Yes, I do play with them every day, but sometimes it's only for 5 minutes. I always end up giggling if I can get Zephyr into the game (not always possible, especially when Viktor is going whole hog after the wiggly piece of flannel on a stick), and it's good for them. Letting myself do something just for the fun of it...? Will be good for me.
  4. Something that's been important to me for a while is cooking. I did The Whole 30 back in October and realized I'm sensitive to a whole bunch of foods that I'd been eating every day - lactose intolerance being the most ridiculous of them (ridiculous because how did I not realize it before?). Since then, I've not been 100% Whole 30, but I've been eating fairly paleo. I'm worried I'm going to fall into a rut with my eating, and get bored, so for the last few months I've been trying more new recipes, and will continue that into the new year.
  5. Finally, I just turned 45, so there's no denying I'm middle aged. I definitely need to sleep more.

source

How about you? Do you believe in New Year's Resolutions? If so, what did you resolve?

No comments:

Post a Comment